Character, service and leadership are the selection criteria for the Loran Scholars program. Loran Scholars are people of strong moral character who have demonstrated commitment to service and potential as leaders. They are curious by nature, interested in a wide range of subjects and willing to take meaningful risks. They prioritize results over appearances and value integrity and honesty. Though they study diverse subjects, and go on to work in a variety of fields, they share a common commitment to their university and larger communities.
- Be in their final year of uninterrupted full-time studies in high school or CEGEP. (In Québec, students planning to attend university outside of Québec after only one year of CEGEP are also eligible to apply in their first year of CEGEP). Exceptions will be considered for those who have undertaken a gap year for academic pursuits or community service-based activities.
- Present a minimum cumulative average of 85%
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
- Applicants may apply to one of two pools:
- the sponsored pool, for applicants sponsored by their schools
- or the direct pool, for applicants who are not sponsored by their schools.
Sponsored Applicants are those who are nominated by their school. Each high school in Canada is eligible and encouraged to sponsor up to three students for the award (CEGEPs may sponsor up to five students).
- Please indicate your interest to your guidance counsellor in applying as a sponsored applicant . Prepare your application in full and submit to your counsellor for consideration by October 7th, 2015