FAQ About Co-op


  1. How many hours do I have to work to get co-op credits?

110 hours = 1 credit                330 hours = 3 credits

220 hours = 2 credits              440 hours = 4 credits


  1. Does travelling time count as part of my hours?

Travelling time does NOT count as part of your co-op hours.

HWDSB Co-op students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the placement. HWDSB and/or Westmount does not reimburse Co-op students for transportation costs.


  1. What are logs? Why are they important?

Time sheets or logs help you keep track of your co-op hours. They are important because they serve as a formal record of the amount of time you have spent in the workplace.


  1. What are journals? Why are they important?

Journals give you the opportunity to reflect on your co-op experiences throughout the semester. They are important because they describe the learning you are doing at your placement. Journals are also a place for you to consider key events that happen at your co-op placement and how those events contribute to your learning.


  1. Whom do I have to call if I cannot attend my co-op placement?

Inform your co-op teacher.

Inform your employer.

Call Westmount to report an absence.


  1. What must I do if I suspect that there is a health and safety concern at my


Report the concern immediately to your supervisor.

Report the concern immediately to your co-op teacher.


  1. What do I do if I get injured at work? Whom must I inform?

Report your injury to your employer.

Report your injury to your co-op teacher.


  1. What forms must be signed before I am allowed to go to co-op?

The Work Education Agreement must be signed by you, your parent or guardian, your

co-op teacher, and your employer before you will be allowed to go to work.


  1. What must I prepare for and bring when I go to meet my employer for the first time?

You should be prepared for an interview and you should bring a copy of your resumé and your portfolio.

Your Co-op teacher will help to prepare you for the interview and send you with an Interview Feedback form to be filled out by the employer.

Your Co-op teacher will also guide you to schedule an Orientation Meeting with your supervisor prior to the start of your placement. This is where you will meet with your supervisor to go over all required paperwork, placement details, etc.


  1. What is a PPLP? Why do I need one?

A PPLP (Personalized Placement Learning Plan) outlines how your particular job responsibilities relate to the linked course for which you are earning co-op credits.

You need a PPLP because it allows your employer to evaluate your progress in the workplace, both at mid-term and at the end of your co-op placement.

Your Co-op teacher will help you to identify which in-school course you should link your co-op with and get you started on creating your PPLP.


  1.  Do I attend my co-op on Flex Days?

Since our co-op employers do not have Flex Days at the workplace, the expectation is that you are attending the placement as regular on a Westmount Flex Day. For students who are “on track” in their in-school courses, there may be an opportunity to extend your placement hours on a Flex Day (with supervisor permission and an Amendment completed and submitted prior to the date).


  1. What is OYAP?

OYAP is the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program, run by Ontario College of Trades (OCOT). If you are completing a Co-op in an area that is considered a trade, then you will be considered an OYAP student for the duration of the Co-op.


  1. Why should I register as an OYAP participant?

Registering with the Ontario College of Trades allows the hours you work in your co-op placement to count toward a future apprenticeship career in that trade.

In order to register with OCOT, you will need to have an employer who is willing to sponsor you as an apprentice.


  1. What is Accelerated OYAP?

Accelerated OYAP provides Grade 12 students with the opportunity to complete their Level 1 training for their particular trade while in their final semester of high school. This Level 1 training is combined with a co-op experience in the trade.

You must be registered with OCOT in order to apply for this program.


  1. How do I register for Accelerated OYAP?

Accelerated OYAP students must register as apprentices with the Ontario College of Trades. In addition, they must also find a qualified journeyperson who is willing to sign them on and train them as an apprentice.


  1. What are the advantages of Accelerated OYAP?

Participating in Accelerated OYAP allows you to complete your Level 1 certification before you have even graduated from high school. Once you have completed your Level 1 certification, you are eligible for a grant from the Ontario College of Trades.


  1. How do I apply for Co-op?

Once you have been timetabled for co-op, attend an Application Workshop Session (held around mid-term the semester BEFORE your co-op). The Co-op teacher will explain the application process at this session. The application process is completed the semester BEFORE your co-op.

See “Westmount Co-op Application Process” for more information.


  1. What if I am planning to have a carryover in the same semester as my Co-op?

A carryover may present a limitation to your participation in co-op. Before progressing through the Co-op application process, please ensure that you will not have carryovers that will affect your timetabled space for co-op and/or make an appointment with your Guidance Counselor to see if your carryover will affect your co-op.